I've wanted to make a mobile for a long time, but beating me to it, Ophelia decided that she wanted to create her first mobile for her little brother - to hang above his cot.
So here's how we did it..
1. First we painted the flat colours (of Ophelia's choice!) onto sheets of 270gms paper
2. Then we glued two different colours together
3. Ophelia drew her favourite shapes over one side which I then cut.
4. I used very thin wires to build the mobile shape - which you can buy in any model shop (and some art shops). Some people use a coat-hanger but I find it very difficult to manipulate into shape.
5. After attaching the strings, we used lots of different objects (buttons, jewels, cut-designs) to balance the mobile. This is the most difficult bit, getting the weight right on each side.