20 Rue Rambuteau in the 3rd Arrondissement of Paris is a magical tiny shop that has been frozen in time, the decor of the Roché sisters hasn't moved since 1930. The famous pastel Roché has been made in this place for the past 3 generations.
The story of La Maison du Pastel starts at the beginning of the 17th century, a time when working with pastel is very much in fashion. Henry Roché a chemical engineer, chemist and biologist is very interested in art. He decides to buy the old Maison Macle which sells at the time all sorts of materials for artists. In 1887 he proposes a range of around 500 colours. After the second World War, the shop has to be rebuilt (it has been occupied by the Germans and then bombarded).
Generations of skills and manufacturing secrets are carefully maintained by Dr Henry Roché's wife and daughters who work together at perpetuating the family tradition.
In 2000 the two sisters aged 80 years old decide to transfer their skills to their great cousin Isabelle Roché who is now in charge of the Maison du Pastel. She dedicates all her energy to the conservation of this wonderful national and family heritage.